Thursday 10 March 2011

Spring!

I have a confession to make.

I should be doing other wordy things right now, but I just had to take a moment to say how much I love this time of year. SPRING!

Outside is the place to be at now. Wherever you are the feeling and energy of Spring will be coursing through the world around you. Trees budding and bursting to leaf, lawns growing and wafts of fresh grass clippings on the air, bulbs bright in the clear morning light, even the light has a new intensity. In the centre of a busy city you can feel Spring filtering itself through your senses and calling to the child in us all that simply wants to roll on the grass and run bare foot over the warming ground.
You can probably pick up my slight enthusiasm for this season by now and if you saw me gardening these days you’d no doubt notice a spring in my step, a tendency to sniff mown grass and laugh whilst looking around me. It gets into you as much as the plants, it’s not only the trees that are feeling the rush of sap and energy, we are too and there’s so much of it to go around. This is the force that pushes shoots through concrete and delivers sap to the tip of the highest branch, from the moment the sun breaks into the sky till the drawing of night nature is behaving like a toddler that’s got drunk on squash concentrate; exuberant, everywhere at once, manic and over flowing with energy.

As I said before I should be doing other writings at the moment but such a natural celebration has once again distracted me away from the jobs that should be done to those I fancy doing. Admittedly most seasons inspire me this way and there’s something unique that makes each one my favourite at its time of arrival. I’m sure by the time the year is beginning to run its course I’ll be looking forward to the settling down and Winter.
But right now we’re at what many see as the beginning of the seasonal year and I can’t wait to watch it unfurl itself over the coming months. Garden shows, hyperactive lawns, fresh food gluts from the garden and evenings drinking wine on the lawn...for such a fresh, clean time of year it can also be wonderfully decadent.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment